Ok folks this one is not like other posts, it’s very personal, is aimed very specifically at a particular group of people and if you don’t even know what a ‘Daily Show with Jon Stewart’ is then frankly you need not read any further, this one will not concern you.
For those it does however, this may be the most important post I will ever write.
Because this one is written in the fond hope you found me by Googling something like the title above. This one is because I desperately did the very same thing and eventually found the priceless information I’m going to share. And this one is because like me you love watching ‘The Daily Show with Jon Stewart’ and can’t anymore* because More4 have f***ing cancelled it!
(*I wrote this in Jan 2011 remember, obviously we have Comedy Central UK to thank for returning Jon back to us since.)
God knows it was bad enough when FX cancelled ‘The Colbert Report’, but this, this was like getting shot in the face by Dick Cheney.
Of course it wouldn’t matter so much if you could just watch them on Comedy Central’s own websites, but if you’ve ended up here you’ll already know all of the lovely video gets blocked once they detect that you’re not visiting from the U.S.
Well it is…unless of course you make ‘em think you are visiting from the U.S.
And it turns out that you don’t need expensive kit or some dodgy download, you just need to use Firefox as your browser (and you ought to anyway, it’s waaaay better than Internet Explorer, click here to get it), install a single legitimate Firefox add-on and follow these simple instructions that even most Republicans could manage.
(Breaking news – 18/6/12. It used to be that you had to use Firefox for this type of workaround but now there’s a very similar method for Google Chrome. So if you are an ardent Chrome user, still scan the instructions here to get the gist, but then look down to my comment dated June 18 2012.)
- So assuming you already have Firefox and have it open, go to
and install an add-on called Modify Headers.
- Firefox will now ask to restart, let it and once it has, look to the top menu bar and go to Tools -> Web Developer -> Modify Headers.(OR, if you’re on a PC and running the newer Firefox that doesn’t show the menu bar by default, go to the orange Firefox tab on the top left -> Web Developer -> Modify Headers)
- Either way, a separate smaller window will open and you’ll see towards the upper left a ‘Select Action’ dropdown box, click it and choose ‘Add’.
- You’ll also see 3 input boxes, in the first after ‘Add’ enter “X-Forwarded-For” without the quotation marks.
- In the second box enter “220.127.116.11″ without the quotation marks. No spaces and no full stop after the 15.
- Leave the third box empty and click the other button with ‘Add’ to the right of it.
- Ok, so now you have created the clever little filter you need, confirmed in the space below along with a green circle, all that’s left is to click that funny looking smiley face in the top left that says ‘Start’.
- And that’s it, you’re all done, give yourself an Emmy.
- Next for the best bit, head directly to The Daily Show or ColbertNation websites, giggle with happiness and emit shouts of whooooooo like you’re in the audience when the videos come on.
So if this works for you, and it really should, you’ll now share my overwhelming sense of relief, but it can’t end there.
Nation, we have to rally to restore the sanity for every hero. Go forth and spread the word about this on Facebook, Twitter, forum websites or on toilet walls even. Or perhaps leave a simple grateful comment on here confirming that it works.
And let it be a moment of zen to those assholes at More4 who made us do this.
(I really have to give a tip of my hat to someone called Saiftk on Reddit Canada. His is the original information I’ve adapted and while those details are a bit out of date now, it was the means that has made me and hopefully many others very happy.)
16/01/13 – HEY, YOU REALLY SHOULD READ THIS BIT AS WELL…
Ok then, since you’re here and I think it’s safe to assume you like American TV in general, you might like to know of a different method to watch The Daily Show and Colbert. A method that lets you watch nearly all of US television!
The secret, it unlocks Hulu, that treasure trove of all US networks. And just for swank it unlocks other blocked sites too, CBS for example. Letterman anybody? It’s dead easy as well, just a matter of downloading a different Firefox or Chrome add-on.
Intrigued? Then the answer you seek is here….